Friday 14 October 2011

When you think you have it bad...

Life has a way of handing you reality checks.  The last several months have been up and down months for me, lots of things happening in our lives.  However, there is always someone who has it worse, not that I'm wishing anyone to be worse off than me.  I take no pleasure in other peoples agony, however...

We received a call from a very good friend the other night and were quite saddened by the news she gave us.  Her young son was diagnosed with cancer a couple of years ago, it was serious enough that he was granted a 'Make a Wish'.  Fortunately, with treatment, the support of his family and the touch of God he pulled through and went into remission.  Yay!, right?  Well, a couple of weeks ago they discovered some lumps in his neck again and he has had surgery to remove them and at present they are being tested.  So, at this point in time we don't know what the prognosis will be, but my heart aches for what the family is going through right now.  I can't imagine the type of worry you feel when you have a sick child.  I know what I feel when I think of those people in that situation and I seriously fight hard to keep the tears from streaming down my face. 

When I sit and want to start to feel sorry for myself I try (or will) remind myself to remember things like this.  I try (or will) continue to focus on the fact that I am blessed with a caring & supportive husband, a happy child, have food on the table, a roof over our heads, a means to get to work, a little extra cash to do some fun things here & there, have family who support us, but most of all I will remind myself that we are all healthy.  Things that crop up are minor in comparision to what some families are dealing with. 

When you think the sky is falling, you just need to look up and realize its not and re-evaluate the situation for what it truly is.  I know this is sometimes difficult to do, especially when its your problem/situation.  Your close to the issue at hand, so its very easy to get caught up and make it into a drama of sorts.  I'm in no way de-valuing anyone's situations, but I know that I will be examining my circumstances as they arise a little differently and acknowledging the mountains vs. the mole hills. 

No comments:

Post a Comment